8:00 am - 9:25 am
Registration, Exhibition & Networking
9:20 am - 9:45 am
Opening Keynote – Leading Digital Transformation in the Public Sector: Emerging Technologies and Ensuring Digital Organisation for the Future
- Awarding tech firms £20 million from the GovTech Catalyst Fund to develop and test emerging technologies for shared public sector challenges
- Establishing one of the most digitally skilled bodies of public servants globally by 2020 through the GDS Academy to deliver GovTech
- Harnessing frontier technologies to guarantee the delivery of user-focused services
9:45 am - 10:05 am
Rethinking the use of technology: Collaborate faster – work smarter
- Integrated communications that deliver resources when and where they are needed most.
- AI-driven analytics that reveal valuable business insights to reduce costs and improve public services.
- Digital transformation projects that demonstrate a tangible return on investment.
10:05 am - 10:30 am
Ensuring the Ethical Innovation of Emerging Data-driven and AI-based Technologies: The Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation
- Establishing a centre for strengthening the way data and AI are used and regulated for public services
- Advising the government on specific policy and regulatory action
- Supporting and building on best practice from public bodies and businesses to get the most out of tech
- Promoting trust in emerging technologies by understanding citizens’ priorities and fears surrounding data-driven technologies
10:45 am - 11:25 am
Morning Break, Refreshments & Exhibition
10:30 am - 10:45 am
Key Supporter Session
11:25 am - 11:50 am
International Keynote- Building the Foundations of GovTech; Ensuring Citizen Focused Services
- Designing services for inclusion; designing with users, not for them
- Building an API (Application Programming Interface) to transform health data access and the Medicare payment system in order to facilitate scalability and growth
- Streamlining the Agricultural Guestworker Visa process through service design and a little bureaucracy hacking
11:50 am - 12:25 pm
Panel | The GovTech Catalyst Challenge – Lessons from the Implementation of the Next Wave of Public Sector Technology
- Building best practice in bridging the gap between knowing the challenge and knowing the technology
- Balancing technology investment and long-term savings by constructing a business case with technology providers
- Biting the silver bullet: are emerging technologies always the answer and how can such projects elucidate business and policy solution?
Chaired by Rob Driver, Engagement Lead, GovTech Catalyst, Government Digital Service
GovTech Project Lead
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (Confirmed) Professor Adele H. Marshall
Advanced Analytics Labs (Confirmed) Dorothée Bond
Director of Business Development & Operations
ViaPontica AI (Confirmed) Rob Driver
GovTech Catalyst, Government Digital Service
12:25 pm - 1:10 pm
Seminar Sessions 1
The Future of your Data Science Team
Over the last few years, we’ve seen time and time again how data and emerging technology like AI is becoming ever more weaved into the social systems in which we live our lives: family, friends, work, medicine and money. Today, data and technology are as much about code as it is about human life. However, our processes, frameworks, data science and AI teams remain dominated by a particular perspective, skill set and intellectual talent; one steeped in science, maths and engineering. Our ideas of who is a data scientist or who is an AI researcher have to change to reflect the impact this technology has on society. In addition, our processes, frameworks and general ways of thinking about, designing and building emerging technologies have to be updated too. This session will share why introducing a social science perspective and skill set is crucial to the continued development of emerging tech and introduce you to new processes and frameworks that will allow you to do that.
- Learn about the new set of skills, talents and roles that you should be hiring for in your Data Science and AI Research teams.
- See how social scientists are essential for the success of your data science teams and the creation of AI products and services.
- Be introduced to a social impact assessment framework that will help you consider unintended consequences and mitigate their risks.
- Be introduced to a new end-to-end sociotechnical process that references work done to date by global ethical thinkers as well as the UK’s Office For AI. The process supports ethical best practice when creating the next generation of AI products and services.
A view from the inside. Operating at pace.
I.T within government is, at best, challenging. As a government department that has partnered a number of other departments whilst maintaining and developing its own I.T estate, FCO Services will give its view on the challenges government faces. Using the example of builds that incorporate software and platforms that staff have come to expect, they will discuss how the challenge of operating at varying classifications was managed.
- Building for government
- The power and pitfalls of collaboration
- Examples of how and where it works.
Automatic for the People: Artificial Intelligence in Citizen Communications
Join Martin Taylor, Deputy CEO of Content Guru, to discover how Artificial Intelligence can transform the experience your citizens have when interacting with your organization. Find out how the transformative capabilities of features such as Natural Language Processing, Image Recognition, and Chatbots can streamline the experience that citizens have when attempting to make contact with public sector organizations, and why technological progression is more important than ever.
- AI is already here and transforming citizen engagement
- Machine Agents enhance staff job satisfaction and increase efficiency
- Citizens expect to be able to use whichever contact channel they choose, at any time they need to
How to understand what digital transformation means for you, and how to put digital to work within your organisation to leverage genuine savings, benefits and customer satisfaction.
Digital Transformation is a synonymous and ubiquitous part of nearly every organisation in the world. But what does it mean? How do you start the journey in the right direction and ensure the investment delivers value to customers and to your budgets?
This session will focus on what digital transformation is, how to approach it and how to implement the management and focus required to ensure that tangible, reportable value is driven from the investments made.
- What is real digital transformation
- How to prepare for digital transformation
- How to manage and deliver digital transformation within your organisation
- What a digital culture looks like and how to build one
How to drive real, reportable value and savings from digital initiatives
1:10 pm - 2:05 pm
Lunch, Exhibition and Networking
2:00 pm - 2:45 pm
Seminar Sessions 2
Nuix Technology Ltd
2:55 pm - 3:15 pm
Blockchain for Government: Lessons from The Netherlands
- Exploring the potential for combining a self sovereign digital Identity and Blockchain for public services
- Transforming the internal financial administration with cutting edge fintech
- Understanding the importance of data sharing – A blockchain case study in logistics
GovTech Culture Shift
Case Study: The Tech Connect Initiative
- Building digital skills and capability over the duration of a 12-week programme to solve GovTech challenges
- Securing collaboration between the public and private sector; bridging the gap between government and the emerging tech industry
3:15 - 3:30 Stream Sponsor – Appian Europe Ltd
GovTech Culture Shift
3:15 - 3:35 - Harnessing Artificial Intelligence for Economic Growth
- Encouraging pro-active engagement between policy and emerging tech
- Addressing the implications of developing and implementing AI, including; machine learning, natural language processing and automated reasoning
- Raising awareness of both the challenges and opportunities for Britain’s economy and society
- Empowering decision-makers to make the best possible policy decisions for the economy and industry
3:30 - 4:00 Break
GovTech Culture Shift
3:35 - 4:05 Break
4:00 - 4:20 Case Study: Deploying AI to Create a Customer-Focused Environment at Aylesbury Vale
- Harnessing AI for a customer services automation platform
- Ensuring a more efficient service by reducing response times by 50% and lowering costs
- Utilising time in a more efficient and productive customer-focused way with over 50% of all customer contact generated through AI assisted webchats
GovTech Culture Shift
4:05 - 4:25 The AI Conundrum – How to Support Emerging Technology Economies and Jobs
- Moving beyond mere engagement with industry through targeted dissemination of information on the impact of AI for certain industries
- Building AI Training to maturity to ensure both prosperity of the AI industry and preparedness of end-users
- Bracing industries for impact by helping to create secure ret-raining pathways for affected functions and sectors.
4:20 - 5:00 Panel | The Reality of Implementing Emerging Tech
- From concept to scale – how it’s possible to move beyond the testbed stage
- Ensuring that Govtech solutions, from Robotic Process Automation and Machine Learning to Geospatial Data, integrate with your established technology stack
- Passing the test – when emerging technologies don’t fit with established standards
GovTech Culture Shift
4:25 - 5:10 techUK |Panel
5:00 pm -